Now, pick your positions on these issues. Remember that you are a politician; keep in mind the voting patterns of the state you are running in.
1. What are your views on gay marriage?
I would support a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. I oppose gay marriage, but I would not support a constitutional amendment to ban it. I oppose gay marriage, but I support civil unions. I support gay marriage.
2. What would you do with regards to immigration reform? I would fight illegal immigration with increased border patrol, tougher penalties, deportation of illegal immigrants, and other appropriate measures. I would fight illegal immigration with more border patrol and tougher penalties, but I feel that it is impractical to deport all the illegal immigrants already here. I would keep fighting illegal immigration, but I would also expand legal immigration at the same time. Also, I would support a guest worker program. I would work to improve conditions abroad so that foreigners have less of an incentive to come here illegally. I would support establishing a guest worker program, expanding legal immigration, and allowing those undocumented workers already here to enter a path to citizenship.
3. What would you support as a way to reform the U.S. health care system? I think that more Americans should have health insurance, but the government is not the best solution to this problem. We should cut funding to Medicaid or Medicare, and look into tort reform. I think that more Americans should be covered by health insurance, but I think the government is already doing as much as it can afford to do. I would support achieving universal coverage of every American by working within the current employer-based health care system. I would support achieving universal coverage of every American through a single-payer system.
4. Where do you stand on the divisive issue of abortion? I oppose abortion in all cases except to save the life of the mother. I oppose abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or when the health of the mother is at stake. I support the woman's right to choose throughout the first and second semester. I oppose the practice commonly termed "partial-birth abortion." I support the woman's right to choose in all cases; I think abortions should be safe, legal, and rare.
5. How would you support approaching social security reform? I think we should allow some investment into private accounts, and look toward raising the retirement age. I think we need to consider allowing optional personal accounts on top of the current system, but we cannot in any way reduce benefits. I think we should avoid all benefit cuts or privatization schemes. The system is fine, and can be adjusted with small changes. I think we should avoid all benefit cuts or privatization schemes. We can fix social security by raising the tax cap, and enacting similar reforms.
6. Do you support the Bush tax cuts? Yes, I think that they did a lot to stimulate the economy, and I think we should extend them. One can't have too many tax cuts. Yes, I think they were a good idea, but we cannot cut taxes anymore at this time. No, and I would support rolling back his tax cuts for the rich. No, and I would support rolling back all of his tax cuts.
7. Do you approve of the current U.S. war in Iraq? I approve of the current war in Iraq, and I think we should increase troop levels. I approve of the current war in Iraq, and I think we should maintain troop levels indefinitely. I disapprove of the current war in Iraq, and I think we should set a timetable for withdrawal. I disapprove of the current war in Iraq, and I think we should begin withdrawing troops right now.
8. Do you support federal funding of embryonic stem cell research? I oppose federal funding of this research. I support funding of stem cell research.